Sunday, October 3, 2010

Colors of my life.

When I first entered the world of academia, I must admit that I was pretty nervous. I was being handed off to literal strangers, so it was no surprise that my four year old self succumbed to a bought of tears. To assuage said tears, I was led to a small table filled with a variety of school supplies and told to sit. After some soothing words, several calming breaths, and wiping down my face, I was given some paper and a small box of crayons. From then on, it was the start of a beautiful friendship.

I was enthralled. In my hand was a set of 8 waxy colors. At such a young age, I had no clue as to what primary colors were, or which colors complimented the other, but I was well on my way to discovering some of the answers myself. Red and green became the perfect pairing for Christmas scenes, and the orange or yellow suns shone bright over waves upon waves of blue oceans. I was subject to my own lessons in color theory. By mixing reds with whites, I learned that the color would lighten to shades of pink. More white, meant lighter, softer colors. Adding black to any color darkened the hues and with each subsequent addition, I would never be able to return to its original color.

Nowadays, I have studied my fair share of color wheels. I have read about color theory, and the usage of color to accentuate and highlight design. Primary, secondary, and tertiary colors paint murals in my mind. Color is all around us, blanketing every surface of our daily lives. It is ubiquitous but should not be forgotten. Color is that singular box of 8 waxy crayons.

No comments:

Post a Comment